Letting Loose with Watercolour
With Juve Furtado
DATE & TIME
Sept. 17-19, 2021
Two half-day workshops
Class A: 9am – 1pm
Class B: 2pm – 6pm
McTavish Academy of Art
1720 McTavish Rd, North Saanich
Letting loose with watercolor is an introduction to watercolour pouring and spattering. The workshop is suitable for beginners and intermediate students who want to experience a loose approach to watercolors. It is a fun, intuitive approach to painting which can produce interesting and unpredictable results. You will discover how you can complete 70% of your painting without the use of direct brushwork.
I will also touch on the importance of composition and light in a painting and how to use of masking fluid effectively. I will be sharing my color palette and the materials I use. Participants will have the opportunity to observe, ask questions and receive assistance where needed. I will cover the various stages of my painting process including; stretching of watercolor paper, the use of masking fluid, pouring and spattering of watercolor and adding the final details to complete the painting. Lastly I will discuss how we can present our work without glass.
“For me the greatest reward in creating art is to see my work connect and resonate with the viewer in a meaningful way.”
ARTIST BIO – JUVE FURTADO
Juve was born in Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. After a 32 year career in education in Winnipeg, Manitoba, he decided it was time to pursue his love of art and photography. Retiring to Vernon, British Columbia in 2006 was the incentive he needed to delve into his art.
Juve is a self-taught artist and his preferred medium is watercolor. He resides in Vernon, British Columbia and is a Signature (AFCA) member of the Federation of Canadian Artists North and Central Okanagan Chapters. His work is featured annually in various FCA juried shows as well as Lake Country’s Annual Art Walk in the Okanagan. His work is in private collections in Canada, the US and abroad.
REGISTRATION & PAYMENT INFO
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
We ask that you choose between attending the morning or afternoon session.
Reminder: this workshop is open to SPAC members only. If you haven’t applied for your membership, please do so now by filling out our online membership form.
The fee for the 3-day workshop is $285, payable in full, and is open to SPAC members only. Online payment by credit card, debit card of PayPal account will be taken at time of registration.
- (2) 1/2 sheets of Arches 140 lb cold-pressed watercolor paper (or similar artists quality)
- Watercolor board
- Wood or hard foam board for stapling stretched paper
- Heavy duty stapler and 3/8” staples
- 1½” masking tape – I use the blue (Beauti-Tone) found in most hardware stores
- A large container for clean water
- Spray bottle – Windex type
- 1½, 1 inch flat brushes, #12, 8, 4 rounds and a rigger
- Scrubber brush or flat bristle brush and a toothbrush for scrubbing
- 3-4 white saucers, plates or small cups to mix pigment and pour
- Art masking fluid – I use Winsor & Newton art masking fluid
- Gum eraser (to remove masking)
- Paper towels or small sponge to clean up wet areas
- Salt shaker with table salt (for texturing)
- Pencil & eraser
- Hair dryer to speed up process
Paints – Artist quality watercolors
(I use Winsor & Newton.)
- Winsor Lemon/Yellow
- Aureolin Yellow
- Winsor Red
- Cadmium Scarlet
- Cobalt Blue
- Antwerp Blue
- Ultramarine Blue
- Brown Madder
- Payne’s Gray
- Yellow Ochre